You know how it’s always easier to solve other people’s problems? Well, that’s what we do for a living. Like Lucy, from Peanuts. But instead of using our powers for parsing, planning, and persuasion to torment Charlie Brown, we use them to help clients, their communities, and their endeavours thrive.
On the surface, it’s that simple. Below the surface, a blend of science and magic goes into helping people bring their dreams to life.
So here’s a plain language articulation of what Hypenotic does and what we need your help with.
People come to us with specific communications needs. They know they need to look or sound better or different, become visible and relevant to more or new people. Sometimes they have ideas about how to do it. Other times they don’t.
We collaborate with each to articulate their challenge as an equation that lends itself to solving.
After this framing, we work closely and iteratively with clients to combine what they know with what we know and what we learn by working together into communications, strategies, systems, tools, and tactics.
Sometimes the output is the powerful sense of self that comes from Brand Strategy. Sometimes it’s a Visual Identity that sends the right messages. Other times the result is a Content Strategy. Still others a specific communication tool like a website, report, or data visualization. Whatever-form follows function.
The ideal candidate won’t be intimidated by a blank canvas. Far from it. The opposite of it. You’ll be titillated by it. Liberated by it.
Multiple years of experience will probably help you see structure where others are stumped.
We’re not fussed about specific vertical expertise, as long as you have experience with design workflows (Service, Identity, Web Application, etc.).
So whether you’ve been a content strategist, information architect, project manager, or some other part of bringing communications projects to life, that’s a good start.
From Proposal/Pitch/RFP to getting to a ‘finished’ project, you’ll need to:
- Get your head around the clients’ challenges/opportunities
- Frame an approach to addressing the clients’ challenges/opportunities
- Research/validate, evolve, and execute the ideas
- Schedule components and activities of the approach you’ve framed
- Engage and collaborate with our swell team of creative and technical problem-solvers.
- Report to our charming clients re: progress, emerging opportunities, hurdles, and plans to address them.
- Strategic: Solid at making the abstract concrete.
- Communicative: Articulating clear thinking in writing.
- Administrative: Sensitive to systems and resources.
Flexible here–just care about craft, be socially bent, and bring some of your interests to the table and we’ll get along great.
- Pragmatic people person: Half of bringing good work to life is negotiating.
- Comfortable in a fluid environment: We work on multiple projects for multiple clients at any given time. We’re not a high-stress environment (quite the opposite), but you need to like variety.
- Accountable: Our clients’ problems are our problems. And this role needs someone who can maintain a grasp on the big picture while they help the pieces move along.
- Web citizen: You don’t have to live there, but you have to enjoy visiting.
- Conscience: We help people doing progressive things, so you need to care about people and the planet.
Life at Hypenotic
We’re a small team of design thinkers and doers working primarily out of a cosy, natural light-filled space in a swell neighbourhood.
We often eat together. Salad. Momos (Tibetan dumplings). Cookies. Leftovers.
Our clients are nice people often engaged in systems or sector changing work. About half are non-profits.
We’re a founding Canadian B-Corp on a mission to manifest a generative economy. We started in 1998, but we’re a bunch of life-long learners so we kind of feel like we’re always starting. Starting locally, we promote a healthy work-life balance, are serious about making it possible for people to bring their whole selves to work, offer decent benefits packages, are flexible about hours and remote work. We support the work of local community organizations and volunteer for initiatives that move us.
Think you should be here? Apply!
Send us an e-mail (email@example.com) telling us a little about yourself.
Please attach your resumé and/or include a link to your personal site as well.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Posted on: February 5, 2019View all positions